Sunday, December 9, 2007

Retro Diva

"I JUST WANT TO CELEBRATE" A RETRO MUSIC ARTIST - Kim Boyce

This gospel diva Paved The way for Christian dance music. KIM BOYCE broke boundaries in Christian music, tearing down the walls between the formalities of stale religion, and it's antithesis--the celebration of a vibrant faith.



Kim, more recently. (picture below)
The image “http://www.christianmusiclighthouse.com/main/pictures/kimboycepics/kimpromosmile.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

Kim was really the first Christian "dance" artist to go mainstream. Her heart for people and poignant lyrics, both of which clearly demonstrated the genuine love of God still did not keep her from much criticism for her "stage presence" (she actually "danced"- oh my!) and her upbeat music was thought to be irreverent by some.

The image “http://www.artistdirect.com/Images/Sources/AMGPORTRAITS/music/portrait200/drp000/p038/p03854uh299.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

I could be a millionaire
Have the finest clothes to wear
Ask me if I really care
I know I'm lost if You don't save me...
My desires rearrange my view
I have got to keep my eyes on You
I could search for neon fame
Until everybody knew my name
To lose your soul would be a shame
I know I'm lost if You don't save me

(from dance-pop Christian hit Save Me, words: Kim Boyce & Bryan Tankersley
from the album TIME AND AGAIN, Myrrh Records, 1988)

Kim Boyce, the "Madonna alternative? (I thought so.)



The image “http://www.christianmusiclighthouse.com/main/pictures/kimboycepics/kimtimescarf.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.




When I first saw this picture (above), part of the album artwork, I knew for sure: "Yes, she was.'" Kim's electrifying style and this album art clinched it for me!
Kim had her own style and fashion, yet celebrated various eras of fashion of music. This was a big compliment, as I was a huge Madonna fan at that point. (I still have hopes that Madonna will finally "come to Jesus" or "come back" to Jesus.) As for Kim, she's always maintained her Christian witness (as some put it) and had an individual streak of genius unparalled by artists of her time. So may God's blessing continue upon Kim and her husband, singer Gary Koreiba, as they continue to serve as artisans in musical theatre- currently with Pierce Arrow Theater in Branson, MO.
Like famed Amy Grant, Kim was definitely a pioneer, taking Christian music to the next level.

Kim's Discography

  • 1997 - As I Am

  • 1994 - By Faith

  • 1993 - Facts of Love

  • 1991 - This I Know

  • 1988 - Time and Again

  • 1987 - Love is You to Me

  • 1986 - Kim Boyce




  • The image “http://www.christianmusiclighthouse.com/main/pictures/kimboycepics/kimtimethree.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.



     





    1 comment:

    Anonymous said...

    There are some really great
    Branson shows to see.